Waiting For The Big Waves To Move Off

It was a quick 2 night, uneventful passage from Fakarava to Papeete, Tahiti on May 28th. We had a lucky motor/sail as the wind never picked up enough to sail the entire distance but we outran the SPCZ as it moved south.  It has been a productive week in the Papeete Marina with wifi, shopping, shower facilities all so close, stepping off the boat onto the dock has been wonderful – no salty dinghy ride to shore.

We were able to FaceTime with Mom, my sister and sons, that was a treat I didn’t anticipate. We had some boat projects to work on – lost a dinghy oar in rolly conditions back in Nuku Hiva – a French boat gave us an old one he had, traded for some chocolate bars –  nice guy; the dinghy motor fell apart while in Fakarava – purchased a new one in Tahiti and cheaper than US for Japanese manufactured Tohatsu 2 stroke that is unavailable in the US;  2 solar panels went dead – no replacement available, new laptop broke just as we left Nuku Hiva – needs to be shipped back to the US, the Bluetooth keyboard for the IPad broke- too expensive to buy a new one,  ordered a new raw water pump for engine – have a small but irritating leak.  We’re in the process of ordering all these replacement parts to be sent to American Samoa where there are no customs taxes for parts and can be shipped via US  Express mail service.  A huge dent to the cruising budget but it’s the cost of living just like home and driving a used car, something needs to be repaired or replaced.

We had planned to sail to Moorea today but the weather system south of us turned into a gale. 018The winds are suppose to pick up to 25 kts with 4 meter waves on Wednesday/Thursday moving NE. Just above the multi-colored hook shape are the Society Islands where we are. We’ve done that wild sail before, hell no we’re not sailing it if we don’t have to.  Honestly – not a lot of fun!  And its just about the time we were planning on snorkeling the reefs and paddle boarding around Cook’s Bay. This weather system is suppose to move off by NEXT Monday.

The wind was blowing out of the northwest today sending waves right into the Marina, white caps were in the harbor. By tomorrow the wind should subside enough so that we can motor around the island into Taina anchorage until the gale bows off.

Marina life is great for a few days, after that, sensory overload. The cars, people, noise and shops become overwhelming. Aside from the convenient Marina life in Tahiti, we’ve had a great time people watching, Grottotouring the island via car.  This is a grotto, one of many along the west coast of Tahiti. Beautiful scenery and coastline.

Shopping,  buying beautiful Tahitian print fabrics, eating very expensive ordinary meals – $63 for a small plate of pesto spagetti, 10′ pizza, and 2 beers.     Wifi with speed just a little above the old dial up is spotty and frustrating but better than no wifi on the ocean.

We’ve said our goodbyes to buddy boats Sababa and Athanor, each boat heading their own direction. Our newest friends on SV Chevalde whom we met in Hiva Oa, Marquesas happened to be walking along the malecon and spotted our boat. We had a happy reunion with them. They are anchored in the Taina anchorage where we’re going tomorrow, maybe we’ll sail together until our visa expires. Never know who you meet along the way but it always turns out to be a strong bond between cruisers.

Waiting and watching the weather forecast everyday to depart Tahiti. We are ready for our next adventure!

 

9 thoughts on “Waiting For The Big Waves To Move Off

  1. Anne Chalmers June 7, 2016 / 8:07 am

    Dianne – thanks for chronicling your adventures. It is great to see the world through your eyes and even nicer to be able to keep in touch in a virtual sort of way.

    Like

    • Diane June 14, 2016 / 12:08 pm

      Hi Anne! Love seeing your adventures on FB whenever I can. Hope to meet up with you when we get back, OR, maybe you could join us somewhere in Samao or Japan. Love and hugs to you!

      Like

  2. Javier Kim June 7, 2016 / 8:10 am

    Hello Diane and John, Your email notification in my mail box always makes my day brighter. Fantastic (and well written) stories are a big bonus. I will need to save more money to visit those wonderful places someday. Happy passage to the next destination. Javier from Moraga. Ca.

    Like

    • Diane June 14, 2016 / 12:07 pm

      Hi Javier, thanks for riding along with us. Hope to see you back in Ca in the next couple years! Yes, if you can, visit these pristine places before it’s too late!

      Like

  3. Dave June 8, 2016 / 8:09 pm

    Diane & John!
    Karen and I have loved catching up on your June blog entries. You guys continue to be an inspiration for us. We are sitting in a bar in Port McNeill, BC after enjoying an anniversary dinner celebration (29 years!). Had a “fun” time on Johnstone Strait in some pretty rough wind/wave conditions yesterday. Tarani did great though. Looking forward to laundry, provisioning, etc. tomorrow then rounding Cape Caution and heading towards Alaska.

    BTW, we also started a blog, still learning how to do it. But if you get a chance you can check us out at http://www.GaiaSea.org

    Love you guys! Fair winds and keep on keeping on.
    Dave & Karen Seabrook

    Like

    • Diane June 14, 2016 / 12:05 pm

      Wow Dave & Karen! When you say rough, it’s BAD!! You’ve been in some really nasty conditions, way worse than we ever have. Alaska! Ah, can’t wait to get up there – several reasons – but sad we won’t see you there. Will catch up on your blog in Raiteaa!

      Like

  4. Sailing Pups July 16, 2016 / 5:07 pm

    We were just reviewing who’s following our blob and just finished going through yours. Love reading your progress and wishing we were at that point with our lives.
    We were just wondering ho you like your ssb, we also assume you’re getting your weather updates through it?? Can we ask who you’re using and if you like it?
    Our best to you, safe travels.
    Rob and Sophia

    Like

    • Diane July 27, 2016 / 9:02 pm

      Hi Rob and Sophia! How are things up North? Glad to have our SSB, especially when sailing and able to converse with other sailors on the net. Yep, get all our weather gribs, faxes. We use the Noaa surface analysis forecasts. We don’t use a weather router but are signed up for the weekly overview sent out on Sundays by Bob McDavitt. A free email service. Hope you’re able to make it out here soon, according to many locals, islanders, – the weather is changing and everything is becoming much more complicated, especially weather and politically!
      The very best to you guys, maybe we’ll catch you on our way back from Alaska in a couple of years.

      Like

      • Sailing Pups July 28, 2016 / 8:31 pm

        Hello Diane,

        Thank you for responding. Our best to you and your adventures.

        Sophia & Rob

        ‘Blue Tale’ – Westsail 32 Box 311 Arviat, Nunavut Canada X0C 0E0 sailingpups.wordpress.com

        ________________________________

        Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s